Tired of waking up with sore hips and shoulders that won’t just go away even after taking a bunch of pain killers?
Getting rid of your current mattress could be the only change needed. You can finally enjoy that seemingly elusive hip and shoulder pain relief you’ve been dreaming about for so long.
The mattress industry has seen tremendous technological advancements in the last decade or so. This is especially true when it comes to giving comfort and pain relief to sleepers.
Consumers are choosing mattresses which are effective in eliminating debilitating degrees of pain. The good news is that the right mattress can be great for easing discomfort in delicate areas including the hips and shoulders.
Before you start shopping for the best bed for hip pain, it is important to understand how sleeping can cause pain in multiple body areas.
This is a great way to getting the most critical pointers during the shopping process.
You’d want to make smart buying decisions even if you’re a first-timer. wouldn’t you?
Causes of Waking Up with Hip and Shoulder Pain
Hip and shoulder pain in the morning is more common in side sleepers than those who prefer other sleeping positions.
Granted, not every side sleeper wakes up with pain and discomfort.
However, it doesn’t take a genius to note the significant stress the hips and shoulders go through during side sleeping.
Thus, it is no coincidence that the majority of hip and shoulder pain sufferers happen to be side sleepers.
Side sleeping comes with its perks, that is no secret. However, it places uneven pressure on the spine, hips, and shoulders leading to pain and discomfort each morning.
One might say that switching to a different sleeping position could work wonders for side sleepers. If you’ve been pushed to the brink with ever-present pain in the hips and shoulders, this option may have popped up in your mind.
Unfortunately, a sudden switch to your tummy or back after many years as a side sleeper can be easier said than done. This is regardless of how much pain you may be suffering.
Sadly, there’s no magical button that can be pushed for one to feel comfortable in a new sleeping position overnight.
This is why choosing the right mattress is the most practical option. It can significantly alleviate hip and shoulder pain even among dedicated side sleepers.
The latest advancements in foam technology have culminated in mattresses that automatically conform to each sleeper’s individual body contours.
The result is an even distribution of weight across the spinal region and other parts of the body.
Are you desperate for not only pain-free mornings but a massive improvement in the overall quality of your sleep? Sticking with your good old mattress may no longer be an option.
What IS THE Best Mattress for SORE ShoulderS?
For most people, the sheer number of mattress types available on the market can be confusing. However, your aim of getting a pain-free mattress means that that you’ve got to look out for a model that naturally adjusts to your body’s curves.
As such Memory Foam and to some extent, Latex Foam mattresses may be the best the options for you..
The best mattress for bad shoulders reviews typically feature memory foam models. Period!
It is arguably the most advanced type of foam available for sale at the moment. If you’ve conducted a little bit of market research, you may have come across a few memory foam models on your own.
Visco Elastic and Gel-Infused are the 2 main types of Memory foam mattresses we recommend.
Each of them offers a natural ability to hug and cradle every inch of the sleeper’s body immediately upon making contact.
Also, it adjusts to the body’s contours as well as weight and temperature in the process.
This promotes correct alignment of your spine to ensure even weight distribution. The result is little to no stress on the hips, shoulders, back, and knees.
Hence, you’re able to sleep comfortably and wake up with no body pains.
Memory foam mattresses got a bad rap when they were first introduced on the market many years ago. The were known their huge price tags and for sleeping hot.
In recent times, technology has advanced to the point where these mattresses have become exceptionally breathable. And their price tags have plummeted to budget-friendly levels.
Are you eternally scared of memory foam due to the breathability issues of the first generation models? Latex can be a real alternative to ensure the days of waking up with sore hips and joints are over.
Natural latex foam offers a similar level of comfort comparable to memory foam. Also, it offers “bounce” levels typical of innerspring mattresses.
This results in a buoyant sleeping surface that easily adjusts to the body’s contours. It promotes proper spinal alignment and pressure relief for all sleeping styles in general, and side sleeping in particular.
The open cell structure of natural latex also guarantees that you can sleep cool all night long. This feature relieves the sleeper’s body of unnatural pressure.
The only downside is that natural latex mattresses can be a bit more expensive when compared to synthetic latex and memory foam models.
Why Innersprings are Terrible for Hip Pain and Shoulder Pain
Innersprings have been the most popular type of mattresses in the United States for the last century or so.
From Baby Boomers to Millennials, many of us grew up sleeping on spring coil mattresses.
This level of familiarity is probably why many senior citizens across the country have stuck with innerspring models in spite of their many drawbacks.
The truth is that the majority of coiled spring mattresses are hard enough to cause hip and shoulder pain on their own. This is regardless of which sleeping posture you prefer.
Even relatively soft spring mattresses still lack the basic features required by side sleepers to wake up with little to no discomfort.
Sleeping on the sides builds up pressure points on the hips and shoulders, especially for those who lie in a stagnant position throughout the night.
As you get older and heavier, waking up with pain becomes inevitable on innersprings.
This is due to the fact that lying on the sides shifts the sleeper’s body weight onto the hips.
Innerspring mattresses also cause other forms of body pain due to their failure to provide support for areas such as the sleeper’s waist.
The lack of support makes sagging of one or more spots quite common, causing further problems for the spinal region.
Older, worn out beds also sag in the middle regions where critical support for the hips is desperately required. The result is severe contortion of the spine and negative effects including pain and posture issues.
Sleeping on an extremely firm innerspring mattress also over-elevates the hips, which leads to dipping of the waist area.
This can lead to hip pain as well as frequent discomfort in other areas such as the lower back.
The Best mattress for hip and Shoulder Pain Buying Guide
We’ve now uncovered the fact that bad sleeping posture is the number one cause of hip pain and shoulder pain. Hence, shopping for a new mattress is the next logical step.
Take a look at our compilation of the most critical factors to look out for below to ensure you end up with a winner.
Regardless of your budget and personal preferences, you should be able to find a model that works for you.
Choosing a dense top layer mattress is one of the smartest moves you can make as a chronic hip and/or shoulder pain sufferer. This is a basic, non-negotiable feature so be ready to move on if your target model fails this requirement.
For memory foam, it is important to choose a model with density of approximately 3-4lb per cubic inch at the top. Remember, a denser top essentially means more support for the hips and shoulders.
Buying a mattress is a significant investment that can run anywhere from several hundreds to thousands of dollars. Thus, the importance of getting the best bang for your buck cannot be overemphasized.
After all, no one likes to pay for a new mattress every year or two. But how can anticipate how long a particular model will last before buying it?
Well, going through customer reviews on Amazon can be a sneaky way to find out what current owners are saying about your preferred model.
It is common to find buyers who continue to provide regular updates of their experiences years after purchase. Such reviews can provide first-hand insights into whether your preferred mattress can go the distance or not.
The best mattress for shoulder pain should offer an ample layer of support to prevent your body’s pressure points from sinking into it.
You may have a preference for either of memory foam or latex. But, any model that fails to provide an adequate layer of support will fall short in delivering relief for your body pains.
In fact, the discomfort could actually end up getting aggravated.
Due to the natural components of memory foam, it is vital to order a model that comes with a firmer support base. This base should feature robust materials such as High Density Base Foam, polyurethane, or even innersprings.
It is no secret that Latex is a bit harder than memory foam. This means choosing a model with a thicker profile automatically gives the right level of support to ensure the sleeper gets just the right amount of sinkage.
Sleep Trials & Return Policies
Sleep trials are there to protect consumers like you – Do not hesitate to take advantage of them. Our experts have picked 7 models we believe are the best mattresses for hip and shoulder pain.
The good news is each of them offers free trials ranging from 30-120 nights.
This prevents a situation where you shell out a huge amount of money on a particular model, only to come to the painful realization that it provides little by way of hip and shoulder pain relief.
Modway Aveline Mattress – Editor’s Choice
The Modway Aveline is an independently tested model that has proven to be one of the best options for consumers . If you’re desperate to kick hip and shoulder pain to the curb, this could be your baby.
It is another popular budget-friendly mattress packed with stunning goodies for hip pain and shoulder pain sufferers.
The Aveline delivers sound sleeping night after night, thanks to the open cell memory foam components. The mattress naturally eliminates physical body pain by properly aligning the sleeper’s spine.
This reduces the pressure on the hips, lower back, and neck.
The brand uses independently tested and CertiPUR-US certified foams which are low on VOCs and devoid of formaldehyde. The foams contain zero flame retardants and no heavy metals such as PBDEs, TDCPPs, and TCEPs.
It comes in different sizes such as Twin, Full, Queen, and King as well as different mattress densities ranging from 6-10 inches.
This means that everyone gets to choose the most suitable model for his or her needs.
- The infused memory foam layer top dissipates body heat and adjusts to the body’s contours to deliver flawless comfort
- Vacuum-packed and rolled into a small box for easy shipping and assembly
- Takes 2-4 hours to expand to its full size
- Available at a price you can afford
- Consumers who’re used to very soft mattresses may find this model a bit on the firmer side
Why We Love this Mattress
- The Modway Aveline is a not too hard and not too soft model constructed to fit the comfort needs of everyone regardless of sleeping position.
- It integrates exceptional isolated motion properties to couples with different sleeping patterns or schedules to rest comfortably together without disturbing each other.
- The surface of the mattress embeds open cell gel-infused memory foam to ensure everyone can sleep ventilated with minimal sweat and perspiration during hot and humid weather.
Muse Cooling Mattress – For Hot Sleepers
The Muse Gel Cooling Mattress is a 12-inch model engineered to give patients all-round luxury.
It focuses on alleviating pain across sensitive parts of the body, specifically in areas such as the hips, shoulders, and back.
It sports a 3-layer cocktail of premium quality foam for enjoyable sleep day and night. The top layer features gel-infused memory foam with a removable cover which is gentle on the skin and cool to touch.
The central layer packs supportive memory foam which complements the efforts of the base layer of supportive memory foam.
This guarantees a premium level of comfort and support.
Hence, you can say goodbye to the days of waking up in the middle of the night feeling all sweaty.
Why settle for a mattress that claims to be universally comfortable when you can choose just the right level of softness for your needs?
Remember, the Muse comes in 3 distinct comfort levels i.e. Soft, Medium, and Firm.
- Each consumer gets to choose a superior quality mattress customized for his or her personal needs
- Ships conveniently to your doorstep
- 10-year limited warranty
- Completely free 120-night sleep-trial
- The absence of cloth handles on the sides of the mattress makes handling more difficult
Why We Love This Mattress
- The Muse is rightfully hailed as the best mattress for sore shoulders by industry experts and verified buyers online thanks its mind-blowing finish.
- We recommend the Soft Comfort Level model for those with debilitating hip, shoulder, and back pain because it delivers proper support and alignment
- No matter which softness rating you settle for, this mattress allows the contours of the hips and shoulders to sink in effortlessly.
- The Muse is an incredibly comfortable mattress that wins over its most ardent critics thanks to the integration of quality foams and even better manufacturing standards.
Are you looking for the best bed for hip pain? The Resort Sleep Memory Foam Mattress can be a great choice.
It packs tons of features that can help you sleep like never before and wake up with no trace of body pains.
The manufacturer’s adoption of advanced engineering means this model specifically targets sore shoulders, hips, and back.
Your days of dreading going to bed are numbered once your hit the Order button on this model.
It is compatible with any kind of home furniture, including box springs, wooden bed frames, and even adjustable electric beds.
Are you in the market for a super comfortable mattress which delivers a cloud-like sleeping sensation night after night?
It doesn’t come better than the Resort Sleep Mattress.
- The use of 5-star quality materials ensures a cool, breathable mattress that guarantees comfort in spite of room temperature
- The extra-thick profile gives it a luxury hotel touch
- Specifically targets sore hips and shoulders as well as the lumbar region and other parts of the bodyIt free hypoallergenic memory foam pillow
- 20-year warranty and 30-day full refund sleep-trial
- Not the softest mattress on the market
Why We Love This Mattress
- The Resort Sleep Mattress cradles every inch of the body to ensure superior comfort.
- The perfect contour-conforming properties quickly eliminate long-term hip pain as well as other forms of body pains in areas such as the neck, back, and shoulders.
- The soft fabric linen cover is another novelty feature most consumers are unable to ignore when they start sleeping on the mattress. The cover is removable and machine washable so you can be sure it will last throughout the lifetime of the mattress.
- The mattress is extremely breathable so waking up sweaty and uncomfortable is permanently out of the question.
Hofish Balance-X Mattress – Pain Relief Bed
The HOFISH Balance-X is the best mattress for bad shoulders for anyone with an extremely tight budget.
It integrates superior quality memory foams which deliver natural 5-star antimicrobial and hypoallergenic properties.
It offers reinforced protection against dust mites, allergens, and other forms of bacteria. This makes it safe for kids who suffer one form of allergy or another.
Also, it delivers even redistribution of each sleeper’s body weight. This can lead to world-class pressure relief to the spinal cord capillaries in particular, and the nervous system in general.
The mattress offers the right level of relaxation to the hips, shoulders, and back. Thus, sleepers are able to to wake-up happy with little to no pain.
The Balance-X Mattress is available at a price point that is considerably lower than many of our top picks.
This is refreshing when you consider the fact that consumers are able to wake up from all sorts of body pains even when they’re not in the best state of health.
- The world-class temperature sensitivity molds your shape according to your temperature . This means less tossing and turning in bed
- Price tag is extremely affordable when compared to models of similar make and quality
- Features a durable 2-inch Visco Elastic memory foam at the top and an 8-inch High Density Base Support foam for lasting performance
- Compressed into rolls for easy shipping to your doorstep
- The majority of standard sized sheets do not fit snugly because the mattress is a bit longer
Why We Love This Mattress
- The Balance-X comes in a top-level ergonomic design that releases 7 core areas of the body from undue pressures to enable healthy sleep. Essentially, the hips, shoulders, neck, back, arms, lumbar, and legs gain relief from all forms of pressure ulcers and resultant pain.
- The specially designed fire-resistant inner cover barrier is tested and certified to meet the highest flammability standards in the industry.
- Finally, the quilted fabric cover ensures cozy sleeping by offering an advanced layer of cushioning at the top surface.
The Nectar is a true one-of-a-kind mattress that flawlessly delivers perfect balance and deluxe support to help you sleep and wake up pain-free.
It is manufactured from top quality ultra-dense memory foam for long-lasting durability and unmatched comfort.
The multiple built-in vertical airflow channels in the mattress flawlessly keeps you cool at night.
Sure, the majority of rival models for sale today are manufactured in China and overseas. But, this beauty is 100% built in the United States by experts with hundreds of years of combined industry experience.
Each purchase comes with a no-strings-attached 120-night sleep warranty. This means you get a complete feel of the mattress before committing to its purchase.
Think this sounds incredible? That’s the feeling you’re in for the moment you lie on the mattress for the first time!
- The Ultra-dense memory foam componet soothes the hips and shoulders from pain
- Features several vertical airflow channels which allow everyone to sleep cool and comfortable even during hot temperature periods
- Free shipping across the USA
- Made in the USA
- Price tag is a bit on the higher side
Why We Love This Mattress
- The Novosbed comes with an awesome Perfect Firmness Guarantee which gives all customers a free Comfort+ Kit to firm up or soften your mattress as you need.
- It comes with a comprehensive 15-year purchase warranty that can be easily accessed should you ever need to.
- The 100% free 120-night (60-night minimum) sleep trial enables consumers to gauge whether they’ve experienced enough improvements in their sore hips and shoulders to justify splashing their cash on it.
The Modway Aveline is clearly the best mattress for hip and shoulder pain sufferers right now. It delivers a perfect blend of features and technologies that promote comfortable sleeping.
Those features offer soothing relief for the hips and shoulders so every side sleeper should get one of these.
The Muse and Sleep Resort are other popular models among consumers right now so feel free to choose any of them with confidence.
While the Nectar feels really great, we’re slightly put off by its high price tag.
What do you think about our top picks above? Is there any model you feel should’ve made it to our list?
Please feel free to share it here and we’ll be sure to take a look at it.